SIGNALMAN COURSE AND RIGGER COURSE
To provide participants with knowledge and skills to effectively perform the roles of signalmen and riggers in the marine industry.
Workers involved in lifting operations using mobile or tower cranes.
(a) Signalman Course
· Legal Requirements for Lifting Operation
· Role and Responsibilities of a Signalmen
· Ensuring Safe Lifting Operation
· Slinging Methods for Lifting Opereation
· 3-Steps Lifting & Lowering Method
· Standard Hand & Verbal Signals
· Do’s and Don’ts
· Signalling for Hoist, Lowering, Slew, Jib, Travelling and Stop Operations (Practical)
(b) Rigger Course
· Roles and Responsibilities of a Rigger
· Use, Handling and Maintenance of Wire Rope Sling
· Inspection & Examination of Chain Slings
· Methods of Slinging
· Safety Factor and Centre of Gravity
· Estimating Loads
· Lifting Procedures
· Accident Case Studies
· Lifting of Pipes, Valve, Skip Motor and Propeller (Practical)
· Tying of Clove Hitch Knot and Bow Line (Practical)
Course Structure and Duration
Theory lessons and practical sessions, followed by theory and practical examinations
· Signalman Course – 1 day (9 hours)
· Rigger Course – 2 days (16 hours)
· Signalman and Rigger Courses – 3 days (25 hours)
· Signalman Course
ASMI Members - $130.00 per participant ($139.10 with GST)
Non-ASMI Members - $165.00 per participant ($176.55 with GST)
· Rigger Course
ASMI Members - $360.00 per participant ($385.20 with GST)
Non-ASMI Members - $420.00 per participant ($449.40 with GST)
The following requirements apply to both Signalman and Rigger courses:
· Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents or holders of valid Work Permits
· Able to read and write English
· Medically fit
· Signalmen will only be required to attend the Signalman course.
· Riggers are required to attend both the Signalman and Rigger courses.
· The Signalman course is a pre-requisite for the Rigger course.
Course Venues - Approved Training Centres (ATCs)
Jurong Shipyard @ 29 Tanjong Kling Road
Tel: 6262 7546 Fax: 6261 0738
Keppel FELS @ 31 Shipyard Road
Tel: 6558 8804 Fax: 6861 9400
Keppel Shipyard (Tuas) @ 51 Pioneer Sector 1
Tel: 6558 8804 Fax: 6861 9400
DDW-PaxOcean Shipyard @ 33 Tuas Crescent
Tel: 6551 5900 Fax: 6861 2668
NTUC Learninghub @ Benoi
Tel: 6336 5482
Sembawang Shipyard @ Admiralty Road West
Tel: 6750 6058 Fax: 6750 6112
Singapore Technologies Marine @ 7 Benoi Road
Tel: 6860 9331 Fax: 6897 7901
Candidates who have successfully passed their course examinations will be issued either Marine Signalman or Marine Signalman and Marine Rigger Passes and Certificates by ASMI.
Language of Instruction
· Registration must be made using the prescribed Registration Form available from the ATCs.
· Applicants should register for the course directly with the preferred ATC.
· Application form must be accompanied by one passport size photographs, a copy of the identity card or Work Permit Pass, and full course fee to the ATC.
Replacement of candidates is allowed if the substitute meets all entry requirements, and the request is made at least 3 working days before commencement of course.
Any application for refund should be made in writing to the relevant ATC. Refund for withdrawal is as follows:
· 100% Two weeks before commencement of course
· 70% Within two weeks before commencement of course
· NIL On commencement of course
· NIL Absent Candidate
For enquiry, please contact the ATCs.